Hot Weather Tips From Samuel Lowe Insurance Agency
Summer is here, and the 4th of July is just around the corner. As we move to do more outside activities, it will be important to remember to stay cool. For people who labor outside throughout the summer, heatstroke is the most serious risk and should be handled as a medical emergency. Heatstroke happens when the body's temperature is out of control, causing damage to the brain and other internal organs. Heatstroke can result in permanent impairment or even death if not treated promptly.
- Drink plenty of water
- Do not consume alcohol in the heat
- Appliances generate heat. An oven can easily raise the room temperature by 10 degrees. Save cooking with heat for cooler hours during the day, or cook outdoors on your grill. It is also a good idea to run the dishwasher and clothes dryer at night.
- Choose garments made from natural fibers, such as cotton, which is breathable. Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing that will allow air to circulate while you are out in the heat.
- Eat small meals more often. Avoid foods that are high in protein because they increase metabolic heat. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.
- Do not leave children or pets in a closed vehicle, even for a few minutes.
- A cool shower or bath is a great way to stay cool and much more effective than using an electric fan.
- Limit physical activity: Take breaks during the day.
Heatstroke is the most serious heat-related sickness, defined as a body temperature of 103 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. Hot, red skin, rapid heartbeat, shallow breathing, disorientation, delirium, and coma are some of the symptoms.
Please keep an eye on your neighbors who are old, housebound, or otherwise hesitant to seek assistance in your neighborhood. On hot days, you can offer to host them in your air-conditioned living room, transport them to a nearby cooling center, or phone family or city agencies to make arrangements for them to stay cool.
All of us at Samuel Lowe Insurance Agency hope you stay cool and enjoy your summer! Keep us in mind if you need to insure your summer toys.